Your Help is Needed!
We have learned recently that opponents are trying to destroy the Tobacco 21 bill by dissolving it in committee. It has too much momentum in New York State with it just passing in Nassau, Westchester and Ulster counties to let it be killed.
At this time we're asking for your help to try to keep the T21 bill alive.
You can help keep up the momentum of this bill by making two quick calls:
Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie: 518-455-3791
Assemblyman Joe Lentol: 518-455-4477
A sample phone message to leave:
My name is [NAME] from [CITY]. I am calling to urge you to protect kids from Big Tobacco by passing Tobacco 21. Seventy-five percent of state residents live in an area with a tobacco 21 policy. Please pass A.273 before the legislature adjourns.
You will likely just be asked for your name and to leave a message. Here are some additional talking points:
• The legislation is sponsored by Assemblywoman Rosenthal.
• The bill will increase the age of sale for all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes to 21.
• Tobacco 21 is a common-sense measure.
• Approximately 95% of adults who smoke started smoking before the age of 21.
• The Institute of Medicine predicts Tobacco 21 could lead to a 12% decline in smoking rates.
• Increasing the age for the sale of tobacco products is a promising strategy in the effort to keep kids from beginning this deadly addiction.
• 23 other localities in NY, including 12 counties plus NYC, have now adopted tobacco 21 laws.
Thank you in advance for your help in this matter and for your commitment to public health.